Two fire crews from Paignton were called to extinguish a fire caused by a disposable barbecue at a cottage at Coombe Shute Stoke Gabriel this morning.
They attended at 6.30am after a neighbour alerted the homeowner of the fire in his back garden.
The fire had spread to a lean to porch and was extinguished by firefighters using one hose reel jet.
"The neighbour saw the flames and alerted the elderly couple who live at the property," said Mark Kitchen, crew commanger at Paignton.
"The couple did everything they could to put out the fire, first using coffee pots then a run of the mill domestic hose.
"We'd advise anyone using barbecues to make sure they are left on concrete, filled with water.
"There has been some damage to the porch roof and the door is now warped."