THE grandson of a prominent Brixham anti Tesco campaigner has been injured after being hit by a falling Tesco sign.
Edward Sant was on holiday with dad Jake outside Tesco Express in Fore Street while his mum Amanda Thorne was shopping inside when the line under the word 'Express' came down on his shoulder.
His family said the seven-year-old collapsed and went into shock after being hit at the bottom of the neck by the sign
"I didn't see anything," said shaken up dad Jake, a 62-year-old retired asbestos stripper from Prestwich, Manchester. "All I heard was this noise.
"I turned round and this sign had fallen on Edward's neck.
"It punctured his shoulder — I think I went into shock too."
The incident happened on the last day of his holidays in Brixham where he visited grandparents Jo and Robbie Robinson and two days before Edward celebrated his seventh birthday.
Mr Robinson has been a vocal opponent to plans by the supermarket giant to build a £20million store and housing development in the centre of the fishing port.
He said: "When I heard what happened to my grandson the irony wasn't lost on me. It is ironic that a Tesco sign should fall on my grandson when I have been opposed to their scheme for so long."
Mum Amanda, a 43-year-old nurse, said Edward was helped by Tesco's first aider members of staff who tried to treat him before an ambulance turned up from Dartmouth.
Paramedics then 'glued' his wound back together before taking him to Brixham community hospital for further treatment.
She said: "Edward was hit right at the base of the neck. It punctured the skin. It was quite a deep wound.
She added: "The staff were really good and looked after Edward until the paramedics arrived.
"I spoke to the store manager. "He told me he would personally go up on a ladder to fix the sign up so it doesn't happen again. "
Store manager Peter Hawes said: "It was myself and two colleagues went out and helped. We brought him back and he had a nasty gash to his shoulder. It was all sorted out fairly quickly and I went up myself and saw to the sign".