Login Register

Buckland break goal drought, but search for win goes on

By Herald Express  |  Posted: December 19, 2013


RETURN:  Jamie Micklewright

RETURN: Jamie Micklewright

Comments (0)

BUCKLAND Athletic have broken their goal drought in time for the visit of top-of-the-table Larkhall Athletic on Saturday (3pm).

Buckland's run of one goal in their last four games finally came to an end last weekend in their 2-2 draw away at Bitton, with strikes from former Plymouth Argyle pro Liam Head and stalwart Simon Revell.

However, the draw extends Buckland's run without a league win to nine games – a run which will reach double figures unless they can become the first Western League side this season to inflict defeat on Larkhall.

After taking a 2-0 lead into the break at Bitton's Rapid Solicitor Ground, manager Adam Castle was disappointed not to return from Bristol with all three points last weekend.

"We deserved to win, things are just not going our way right now," said Castle.

Buckland remained without defender Kai Fisher and goalkeeper Kenny Griffiths in their travel to the Bristol based side.

Marc Revell continued his three-match suspension and Ben Carter also joined him on the suspension list for the trip.

However, a familiar face was brought back among the Buckland squad, as striker Jamie Micklewright returned to the squad after an eight-week spell at Liverton United.

The ex-Exeter City trainee began his season netting twice before his departure, and since has been scoring regularly for the South West Peninsula East Division side.

"I believe this is the place where I belong," said Micklewright.

Larkhall are unbeaten in the league after 19 games, having already collected a mighty 55 points. Castle remains without middle men Marc Revell and Ben Carter who continue to serve their suspensions, while central defender Alex Jeannin is unavailable and Kenny Griffiths and Kai Fisher both remain sidelined with injury.

Last weekend, Liam Head put Buckland in front 20 minutes into their clash against Bitton. A well worked move through the field ended with Head firing home past Bitton's goalkeeper, John Rendall.

The forward partnership of Head and Jordan Havlin were proving a threat for the hosts defence. The speed of Havlin and skill from Head was creating chances for Athletic throughout the half.

Buckland's lead was doubled before the break through Si Revell. On 35 minutes, his strike from inside of the box sent his side into the half time break with a comfortable lead.

However, within five minutes of the re-start the deficit was reduced through Bitton's Luke Bryan.

A through ball was played into Bryan from Conor Britton, catching out the defence of Buckland. Bryan control well before finishing past Chris Lanyon in goal.

The home side then came back into the game, troubling the back line of the travelling side. More and more possession was being claimed by Bitton before an equaliser came on 65 minutes.

Link-up play from Eugene Keary and Aysa Corrick lead to Luke Bryan netting his second of the afternoon to grab a solitary point from the fixture.


Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters