Login Register

Cause of plane crash remains a mystery despite report

By Herald Express  |  Posted: October 25, 2012

Comments (0)

EXACTLY why a plane — jointly owned by a South Devon man — crashed is still a mystery.

The 1954-built Jodel crashed in a field near Honiton in June.

Civil Aviation Authority records show it is owned by John Anderson, of Moor View Drive, Teignmouth, and Robert Broad, of Taunton.

Mr Anderson declined to comment to the Herald Express after a report was released by the Air Accident Investigation Branch following an investigation into the incident.

The report says the aircraft took off from an Watchford Farm airstrip at Tiphayes and started to experience problems immediately after take off and a forced landing was attempted.

It is thought the plane probably stalled from a low height and struck the ground, causing extensive damage to the aircraft. The pilot, whose details have not been revealed, suffered a cut to his head and the passenger, who also remains anonymous, was uninjured.

In the lead up to the incident the pilot did routine checks but didn't record any issues.

When the aircraft started to climb, the engine started to lose power.

Despite the pilot's efforts, he couldn't get the plane to function normally.

He was forced to select the only field available and pushed the nose to head for it.

"The next thing he remembered was hanging upside down in his harness," the report states.

"He managed to release the harness, called for his passenger to do the same and both occupants crawled out through a hole in the fuselage."

The report concludes: " The pilot had no precise recollection of the sequence of events between heading towards the field and finding himself upside down in what remained of the cockpit, although he suspects that the aircraft stalled and dropped a wing which is borne out by study of photographs of the ground marks and the wreckage.

"The reason for the engine losing power is also not known, although there were no obvious anomalies visible externally."

Read more from Torquay Herald Express

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • eagle  |  October 27 2012, 11:46PM

    Following an incident, people have six months to think about what the pilot had six seconds to think about.