DEVON'S leading food and drink producers and hospitality organisations came together to recognise and celebrate the best that Devon has to offer at the Food and Drink Devon Awards evening on Monday.
Held this year at the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth, the awards are now in their third year. They are set to become an established event in the food and drink sector’s award season and are becoming a badge of provenance and prestige for Devonshire businesses.
This year saw a total of 79 entries from members keen to win the silver, gold and platinum awards, along with the highly coveted ‘Best’ titles. The evening marked the culmination of an extensive judging process to discover the best in Devon.
Tideford Organics, an organic food manufacturer in Totnes, were named winners of the Best Packaging award, with judges commending them on their ‘picturesque and well thought out design that clearly helped sell their product and promoted Devon produce’. After starting in 1996, Tideford Organics have developed a rustic, homely packaging for its variety of soups, pestos, puddings and more.
Dartmouth-based restaurant, Annabelles Kitchen, walked away with the title of Best Fine Dining Restaurant, with judges stating that ‘the menu was a good balance of dishes using local and seasonal ingredients with the food well executed and featuring bold flavours and presentation.’
Awarded the Best Bistro title was Totnes’ Waterside Bistro, who impressed the judges who stated that ‘their food was fresh and well presented with great taste and textures.’ Run by husband and wife Matt and Delphine Buzzo, Waterside Bistro first opened in 2004 and quickly established an ethos in sourcing the freshest, finest foods creating firm relationships with both suppliers and locals.
Ashburton Delicatessen, a local deli run by mother and son team Sue and Robin Hudson, received the title of Best Retailer. Described as ‘a truly outstanding deli’, Ashburton Delicatessen impressed the judges with their ‘warm and friendly welcome’ and a ‘beautiful and tempting window display’. Since taking over the delicatessen in 2012, Sue and Robin have transformed it into a light, airy shop stocking a wide range of local produce.
Part-owner Sue Hodson was delighted with the delicatessen’s win: “My son Robin and I are absolutely thrilled to have won Best Retailer, especially as this comes at the end of our first year. The accolade means a great deal to us and will be proudly displayed for all to see.”
The prestigious Outstanding Contribution award went to Gabriel David - owner of Luscombe Drinks. This award recognises individuals who stand out as having made an enormous contribution to the Food and Drink industry in Devon. Gabriel took over a cottage cider making business from his father in 1998. In 15 years he has built a quality Devon business supplying multiple products throughout the UK and internationally.
Luscombe’s demand for top quality product extends from Devon grown apples and elderflower to organic Sicilian oranges and lemons. Gabriel has always spurned the path to the supermarkets and has fully supported privately owned individual delis and shops. He has a passion for quality and for all things Devon. Gabriel is a great example of how a person can help a Devon business to grow and thrive.
Food and Drink Devon represents members of like-minded businesses who are dedicated to providing and supporting locally produced food and drink. Dating back to the 1990s, Food and Drink Devon was created after the merging of the South Hams Food and Drink Association and the South Devon and Dartmoor Food Group in January 2008.
. List of ‘Best’ Winners
• Best Packaging – Tideford Organics
• Best Producer – Partridge Farm Meats
• Best Fine Dining Restaurant – Annabelles Kitchen
• Best Restaurant – Noel Corston @EX34
• Best Bistro – Waterside Bistro
• Best Pub – The Lamb Inn
• Best Café / Tearoom – The Rosemoor Garden Kitchen
• Best Takeaway / Street Food – Ruby Modern Diner
• Best Online Retailer – Eversfield Organic
• Best Retailer – Ashburton Delicatessen
• Outstanding Contribution – Gabriel David, Luscombe Drinks
. Devon Producer Awards – Platinum Awards
• Partridge Farm Meats – Sirloin Steak
• Stevie B’s Bakery – Cherry Shortbread
Devon Producer Awards – Gold Awards
• Chunk of Devon – Steak and Bacon Pie with Red Wine and Baby Onions
• Eversfield Organic – Organic Dry Cure Back Bacon
• Georgie Porgie’s Puddings – Lemon and Pimm’s Pudding
• Hallwood Farm Shop – Beef Shin
• Langage Farm – Devon Gold Soft Cheese
• Orchard Organic Farm – Organic Free Range Eggs
• Partridge Farm Meats – Merguez Sausages
• Red Ruby Devon Beef – Sirloin Steak
• Riverford Farm Organics – Khassib Cucumbers
• Riverford Farm Organics – Suakura Tomatoes
• Sladesdown Meat – Beef Sirloin Steak
• Stevie B’s Bakery – Toasted Hazelnut and Belgian Chocolate
• Stevie B’s Bakery – Pear and Rock Cheese Board
• Stevie B’s Bakery – Seeded Malthouse Bread
• Verney’s Molton Ice – Pear and Devon Flower Honey Milk Ice
• Waterhouse Fayre – Seville Marmalade
. Devon Producer Awards – Silver Awards
• Bell and Loxton LLP – Cold Pressed Rapeseed Oil 700ml
• Burts Potato Chips – Vintage Chedder and Spring Onion Crisps
• Burts Potato Chips – Pesto Crisps
• Burts Potato Chips – Thai Sweet Chilli Crisps
• Caprine Capers – Cassis Truffle
• Chunk of Devon – Chunki Sausage Roll
• Exmoor Heat and Eat Kitchen – Boozy Beef
• Georgie Porgie’s Puddings – West Country Cider and Apple Pudding
• Langage Farm – Clotted Cream
• Langage Farm – Cottage Cheese
• Luscombe Drinks – Apple and Elderflower
• Partridge Farm Meats – Plain Pork Chipolata
• Red Ruby Devon Beef – Beef Topside
• Riverford Farm Shops – Dover House Pickle
• Stevie B’s Bakery – Steak and Ale Pasties
• Waterhouse Fayre – Strawberry Jam
• West Town Farm – Rib-Eye Steak