TWO dogs were given oxygen therapy after a fire at a house in Paignton last night.
The fire broke out at 8.20pm in Church Street Mews in the centre of the town.
Two fire appliances from nearby Paignton fire station were sent to the house, and found a blaze on the ground floor of the two-storey semi detached house.
Four sets of breathing apparatus were used as firefighters fought the blaze. Fifty per cent of the ground floor was severely damaged by fire and the entire building was damaged by smoke.
Crews gave oxygen therapy to two dogs suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation, and both made a full recovery. A family cat living in the house died.
The occupants of the house were checked over by ambulance personnel as a precautionary measure.