Login Register

Fifty years ago snow brought the West to a standstill – for two months

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: January 08, 2013

  • Only car roofs are visible above the snow on this North Devon road

Comments (0) Boxing Day 1962 brought blizzards to the South West of England and by January 1963 – 50 years ago exactly – the Westcountry was blanketed with snowdrifts up to 18ft deep in places. Philip Bowern has been scanning the archives.

The big freeze – the worst winter weather Britain had seen for 200 years – was to last from just after Christmas in 1962 until March 1963.

The bad weather set in between Christmas and New Year and by December 30 at least five deaths had been reported as a result of snowstorms over southern England – two died from suffocation after spending the night in a car under a drift.

More than 200 roads were blocked and it is estimated that 95,000 miles of roads were snowbound. Things were worst in the Westcountry, where drifts were up to 15ft deep in places. Only the Tamar bridge linked Devon with Cornwall. All other roads between the counties were closed due to snow. Helicopters were called to assist people trapped in North Devon. At the other end of southern England things were just as bad. In Kent it took one man 90 minutes to drive 440 yards.

The dawning of the New Year confirmed the big freeze was set to last. A report from the time describes continuing blizzards over the South of England as "the worst for 82 years".

Related content

The report from the first week of January went on: "Dozens of villages were cut off and helicopters were used to drop fodder and other supplies to isolated communities in the West. One flight was made with milk and food for a children's nursery in Dorset."

Another contemporary report from a few days later reads: "In Somerset the railway line between Minehead and Taunton was blocked by a train stuck in a snowdrift, another train in the area was abandoned by its crew, who took refuge in a farmhouse, and rail conditions in the West were so bad that priority was given to trains carrying food, coal, oil and petrol."

According to weather reports from the time there was a very brief thaw on January 4, but it came too late to save all but five of the 32 FA cup ties planned for the day, which had been postponed.

And as temperatures dropped once more the crisis caused by the bitter cold began to seriously impact on farmers, not least because wild animals and birds, unable to get at their natural foods, were attacking stored grain and other crops.

A report from the time reads: "The Ministry of Agriculture advised farmers to shoot house sparrows on site now that they were in their hundreds seeking food in farmyards." There would be no such crisis involving sparrows today; in the intervening half century their numbers have plunged.

By January 6, 1963 – a Sunday – the snow was back with a vengeance. It was reported a total of 1,300 sheep, ponies and bullocks were dug out of drifts on Dartmoor, while at sea a coaster missing since December 28 on a voyage from Swansea to northern France was found off Lands End. The rest of January was just as bad, though there must have been high hopes that the weather would improve, at least in the South West. On January 8 it was decided to move the final England Rugby Union trial from Twickenham to Torquay, where "things might be balmier".

Balmy would not be the way residents of Exmoor described the winter. By mid-January it was reported that Porlock Hill, a challenging gradient even in good weather, had been closed for a total of 21 days because of ice and snow. And it was to get worse before it got better, with rural areas bearing the brunt.

After a brief thaw at the end of January, which allowed some coal and other vital supplies to get through to areas of the country previously isolated, the snow returned. On February 4 it was reported that Cornwall and Pembroke were cut off by blizzards.

The report went on: "Fifty people spent the night in a train on the edge of Dartmoor and 70 lorry drivers took refuge in a school at Whiddon Down, between Exeter and Okehampton, after being surrounded by deep drifts.

"In Wales, Llanelli was isolated. In Scotland 150 lorry drivers, caught between Lanark and Abington, took to a public hall for the night; two school buses were stuck in Midlothian, the children being rescued by farmers; and passengers in three buses stranded at Drumgoyne were sheltered at Killearn Hospital. Twelve school-children had to be found accommodation in Kirkby Stephen, Westmorland, when drifts stopped their bus."

Another thaw was to follow a couple of days later. Again, contemporary reports take up the story. "In the Westcountry a thaw brought danger of flooding. Devon Water Board ordered a 24-hour watch on all rivers, and in Plymouth the Services planned a flood-relief operation, using helicopters and amphibious vehicles."

The next day, February 6, Devon River Board chief engineer said in a broadcast that he expected rivers in the county to burst their banks within 24 hours. Police dynamited ice on the Exe to prevent flooding and children were evacuated from a school at Crediton. Floods were averted in most parts of Devon, though, as the ice refused to loosen its grip. Eventually, however, the beginning of a thaw was recorded.

On February 14 – Valentine's Day – it was reported that "Devon got its floods at last" and so did other parts of the Westcountry. There was 4ft of water on the Crediton-Okehampton road, 3ft between Exeter and Bridgwater, and the same depth on roads between Taunton and Langport. The Army sent in eight DUKWs – amphibious trucks – to Taunton where cars were stranded in the flood water.

But by February 17 in the South West hopes rose on a day of brilliant sunshine. For the first time since Christmas all main roads were open across Dartmoor.

On March 2 troops relieved a farm on Dartmoor which had been cut off by 20ft snow drifts for 66 days and three days later the first frost-free day across Britain since Boxing Day was reported. The big freeze was over.

Do you remember the winter of 1963? Write to us at Big Freeze, Western Morning News Newsdesk, 17 Brest Road, Derriford, Plymouth, PL6 5AA or email wmnadmin@westernmorningnews.co.uk

Read more from Torquay Herald Express

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • robocop1982  |  January 08 2013, 2:59AM

    notice they mention aircraft were still ok in this story and able to fly in the bad weather. Just goes to show that technology makes sense. FLying makes alot of sense and is more advanced in some ways.

  • ziggyblue  |  January 07 2013, 4:41PM

    ByBleach - or your manners!

    |   7
  • Bleach  |  January 07 2013, 4:23PM

    You appear to have misplaced your personal pronouns. Or your education, it's difficult to tell.

    |   -8
  • ziggyblue  |  January 07 2013, 3:35PM

    Remember it as a child sledging on Walls Hill, Torquay. Still have all the old slides my father took at the time.

    |   3
  • TorbayOAP  |  January 07 2013, 12:19PM

    I might even become a supporter of the monarchy listening to Prince Charles talking about climate change hes certainly got his priorities right, most people seem to want to ignore it and carry on as we are until Britain is completely submerged.