Login Register

Friends mourn former Torbay wicketkeeper Kevin Guy

By Herald Express  |  Posted: January 05, 2013

lust for adventure: Kevin Guy

Comments (0)

A FORMER South Devon businessman and sportsman has died in Thailand.

It is believed Kevin Guy was injured in a car crash and was in hospital for several weeks before he died.

Tributes have been paid to the former talented wicketkeeper who played for Chelston, Paignton and Barton cricket clubs in the late 1970s and 1980s.

Torbay Sports Council chairman Roger Mann, who played with him at Paignton, said: "Kevin's rise to become the best wicketkeeper in Torbay was quite stunning. He took to it like a duck to water.

"He gave his teammates a lot of encouragement. We did well in competitions, but if we got beaten it was Kevin who would come up with something which would cheer us up."

Roger knew Kevin since he left school. He said: "I employed Kevin when he was young. He worked for me for about five years in the offices at Frank Mann, the wholesale fruit merchants. He was a reliable, solid accountant."

Kevin's second wife, Gill Madge, said that apart from cricket, Kevin would be remembered for his love of travelling and motorbikes.

Gill, who was with Kevin for 10 years until their divorce in 1982, but who remained good friends, said he was proud of a 1,000-mile ride he did from Cumbria to France.

The couple hosted two cricketers from New Zealand and they all met up in various parts of the world afterwards.

Kevin spent many months in New Zealand, and it was on a stopover in Thailand that he got to love the country where he met his fourth wife and lived for the last couple of years.

Kevin was born in Torquay and attended Torquay Boys' Grammar School.

His niece, Stephanie Crispin, said: "Kevin was like a big brother to my sister Brigitte and me. He was always very kind to us. He had a dry sense of humour and a down-to-earth attitude to life."

He worked at Bishop Fleming before becoming chief accountant at Renwicks Garages and then having a Peugeot dealership of his own in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria.

Ed Barlow, who worked with Kevin at Renwicks, stayed in regular contact with him. Ed said: "I've spoken to a number of his old friends and colleagues and I know he will be missed by all of us and remembered fondly for some really good times we had together."

Ian Western, who was a friend of Kevin for 62 years, said: "You were never bored having Kevin as a friend as his lust for adventure could find him walking on the Yorkshire moors, or Dartmoor, gliding, or motorcycling throughout Europe, at full throttle most of the time. I, and all his friends, are sad he could not fit in another 20 or so years of adventure."

Kevin died following a stroke.

Read more from Torquay Herald Express

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters