Improvement works to Torquay's much loved BabbacombeDowns have got underway today.
Following several days of consultation towards the end oflast year the council was able to finalise the improvement plans withcontractors Glendale Managed Services, who have the grounds maintenancecontract for the Downs.
The initial work, will take a few months to complete andwill involve:
* Opening up theviews from Babbacombe Downs across the Bay by clearing some of the trees on thecliff side and reducing the hedging on the Downs.
* Installing newlarger bins in more appropriate locations.
* Landscapingworks to move, create and reinstate flowerbeds.
* Surfaceimprovements to the footpath.
* New signage toshow facilities and the history of the Downs.
Executive Lead for Tourism and Environment, Cllr JeanetteRichards, said: "There must be veryfew areas across the whole country that have the view and ambience ofBabbacombe Downs so we want to ensure that it looks its best and continues tomeet the needs of those visiting the area.
"We had a great response to our consultation withmany people showing their support for the initial ideas and as a result we havehad to change very little.
"Many of the plans are based on investing to saveand will not only provide improvements for the area but will make futuremanagement easier and in turn reduce costs."