Login Register

Kitchen severely damaged by fire in Brixham

By HEPaulGreaves  |  Posted: August 29, 2014

Kitchen severely damaged by fire in Brixham

Comments (0)

FIREFIGHTERS in Brixham tackled a blaze today at a house in Fern Close.

Two fire engines were were sent to a report of a fire in a property at 1.34pm on Friday.

There were initial fears that three children were in the bedroom but this turned out not to be the case.

The first crew confirmed that there was smoke issuing from a first floor bedroom and requested a third appliance. One fire appliance from Paignton was then sent on.

The kitchen of the property was severely damaged by fire and the remainder of the property damaged by heat and smoke. 

Fire crews used four breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, two safety jets, a thermal image camera, positive pressure ventilation and small tools to deal with the incident. 

Sean Burnell, watch manager at Brixham, said: "We sent in three firefighters with breathing apparatus. One to tackle the fire in the kitchen and two to conduct a search for the children.

"The kitchen was badly damaged. It is believed to have been started by a faulty washing machine and spread to another appliance.

"The property did not have any working smoke alarms. One had been removed and wasn't working.

"We have given the owner some advice about the importance of a working smoke detectors.

Read more from Torquay Herald Express

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters