Login Register

Liverton 'will see things through' after walk-out sparks record loss

By Herald Express  |  Posted: May 02, 2013

By ANDY PHILLIPS

Comments (0)

A MASS walkout by Liverton United's first team will not prevent the club from fulfilling their fixtures for the rest of this season according to stand-in manager Gordon Middlemass.

Liverton are due to take on Torpoint Athletic at the Halford Ground on Saturday (3pm), seven days after all but one of the first team failed to turn up for their clash against Bodmin Town.

Only goalkeeper Ben Hardie turned out against Bodmin, with the reserve team drafted in en masse after the rest of the first team refused to play.

Liverton United went on to lose 13-0 – a record for the division.

Yet Middlemass said some of the first-team players have told him they will return for this Saturday's Premier Division clash.

Liverton are also hosting Falmouth Town at home on Monday (3pm) before ending their season at St Austell on Friday, May 10 (7.45pm).

Club chairman Chris Stevens did not wish to make public the reasons behind the fall-out, saying instead that he was pleased that the club had been able to fulfil the fixture at Bodmin Town.

Tony Bowker had walked out as manager of the first team after the defeat to Newquay the previous week, yet the majority of his side went on to play for the club in the next fixture, at Camelford last Wednesday – suggesting their walk-out was not a solidarity protest.

Instead, it was in a meeting between club officials and first-team players after the Camelford game that many said they would not play against Bodmin.

Middlemass, who is general manager of the club, said the defeat to Bodmin was no disgrace considering the situation, and believed the squad should be stronger this weekend.

He said: "We should be a bit better blessed than we were last weekend – the reserve team went to Bodmin and did very well I thought.

"We've seen plenty of first-team sides go there and been hit for six or seven, to so only lose 13-0 is not that bad.

"I was very proud of the players. They never gave up and even Bodmin were full of praise for their effort.

"Next week what will happen I don't know, but we will fulfil the fixtures until the end of the season and take it from there."

Middlemass is hoping to draw on several first-team players this weekend, as well as others who are already registered with the club but have not played regularly this season.

He added: "Most of them played against Camelford, but there was a meeting afterwards when things were explained to them – not to everyone's satisfaction.

"One or two players have since called me and said 'ok, it's gone now' and that they would be back on Saturday if we wanted them.

"But we will see things through without a shadow of a doubt.

"It's a shame the way things have happened, but I hope the players will be back for the next few games."

Read more from Torquay Herald Express

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES