A MAN, rescued while unconscious by firefighters from his smoke-filled flat, was later arrested by police on suspicion of burglary.
A fire engine was sent to Kingsbridge at 6.30am yesterday after reports from a neighbour that a fire alarm was sounding in a flat in the town.
The neighbour said the alarm had been going for hours, but there was no sign of fire and music was playing.
When they arrived the firefighters found it difficult to get inside and had to use a ladder to get through a window.
Inside they found a man unconscious on the floor. Food left unattended on the cooker had been on fire, but was already out.
The flat was heavily smoke logged and the man was suffering from smoke inhalation. He was also bleeding heavily from a wound to his hand.
The crew issued first aid until the arrival of the ambulance and made the area safe.
Police were called to the scene and later confirmed a 37-year-old man who had been treated at hospital was later arrested on suspicion of a burglary.
At about 3.30am on Wednesday, February 27 wine worth £45 was taken from the Red & White wine shop in the town.