AN ELDERLY man suffered severe burns after a fire at his home in Torquay.
The man, thought to be in his 80s, was taken to Torbay Hospital after the blaze in Chatsworth Road just after 10am on Wednesday.
Three fire crews from Torquay and one from Paignton were sent to the scene to find the ground floor of the property gutted by fire and smoke and the first floor badly damaged by smoke.
Alan Gilson, station manager at Torquay Fire Station, said: "The fire started in the kitchen and the whole of the ground floor was damaged by fire and smoke. The first floor was also damaged by smoke and compromised by the blaze below.
"We arrived and found the resident, an elderly man, on the path with severe burns to his arms, chest and neck. He was taken to hospital. His wife also lives at the property, but was out with family when the fire took hold."
The crews used eight sets of breathing apparatus as well as ventilation fans in neighbouring properties as the smoke spread to the eaves.
The fire was extinguished by 10.45am.
A neighbour said she went out to her car parked on her driveway and saw smoke billowing from the building.
"I could hear screaming and went over to see the elderly man. Luckily a car stopped with a young couple in it who also helped the elderly man," she said.
The cause of the fire has yet to be established.