Login Register

Neck carries off second tour crown

By Herald Express  |  Posted: May 30, 2013

TROPHY TRAIL: Andy Neck with the Golden Waistcoat Tour trophy

Comments (0)

ANDY Neck clinched a second successive Golden Waistcoat title despite losing in the final of the last game in this season's tournament.

Mike Rogers from Taunton beat Neck from Newton Abbot in the final, but that wasn't enough to deny the former pro the title.

Neck will, no doubt, have his sights on next season's tour in an attempt to make it an impressive treble.

Neck will be the first to admit the going gets tougher each year. The new breed of talented young stars who are emerging from the region play a fearless open attacking style of snooker.

This approach forces Neck to call on his past experiences as a professional to keep them at bay.

A second consecutive tour title is testament to his determination, tactical knowledge and practice ethic.

Neck finished the season on 3200 ranking points, 1,160 points ahead of Steve Brookshaw from Plymouth, who finished just 40 points ahead of Paul Standen (Braunton) in a creditable third place.

Competition spokesman Steve Canniford said: "Andy Neck has, without doubt, been the most consistent player on the tour this season and is deserving of the title.

"Steve Brookshaw's second place also shows he has the consistency required to challenge for this title.

"However, both these players will do well to repeat these positions next season, as there are a number of young guns closing in who are playing a fearless attacking style of play that will test the more establish players."

ST Anne's Q continued their good start to the season in the Torbay RGB Snooker League Premier Division as Darren Smith scored a break of 42 and Martin Makinen one of 40 in their 5-1 win over ninth placed Teignmouth Royal British Legion A.

Paignton Club stayed in second place a point behind St Annes, as they battled to a 5-1 win over seventh-placed Brixham Conservative A, for whom Lee Redstone scored a break of 29 in the fifth frame to avoid a whitewash.

Andy Smythe scored breaks of 29 and 32, as third-placed Torquay Squash beat Preston Cue G 5-1, for whom Alex Mucklow won their only frame.

Craig Gayler compiled a break of 31 in the final frame, as Mid-Devon Constitutional Club A moved up to fourth as they beat St Marychurch Conservative E 4-2. Ray Little scored a break of 29 for the losers in the opening frame.

John Morris and Nicholas Johns both scored breaks of 28, as St Anne's B moved up five places to tenth after recording their first win of the season. They beat tenth-placed Upton Social A 5-1, of whom Jason Lewis won their only frame.

Torquay Squash D went top of the Division Two table by a single point as they beat bottom side Brixham Sea Anglers A, for whom Dan Lewis won their only frame to avoid the whitewash.

St Marychurch Conservative Q moved up four places to second place, as they beat sixth-placed Riley's D 5-1, for whom Scott McKnight won their only frame on the black, to avoid the white wash.

Last week's leaders Preston Cue E slipped to third place, as they drew 3-3 with eighth-placed Torquay Squash B, who battled back from 3-1 down to earn the draw.

Preston Conservative A returned to form, as they came from 2-1 down to beat tenth-placed Brixham Conservative B 4-2.

Keith Taylor compiled a 22 clearance in the fifth frame, as Kirkham Street B drew 3-3 with seventh-placed Preston Conservative B.

Torbay Royal Yacht Club B moved to the top in Division Two by a single point, as they won the final two frames to beat seventh placed St Marychurch Conservative B 4-2.

Preston Conservative C moved up three places second as they recorded their first win since February, as they beat ninth placed Preston Cue F 4-2.

Teignmouth Royal British Legion B moved up four places to third, as they bounced back from losing the opening frame to beat Hookhills B 4-2, for whom Dean Sherman scored a break of 27 in the final frame.

Roundham moved up to fourth, as they beat tenth placed Preston Cue D 5-1, who have been deducted two points for turning up with two players.

Former leaders Preston Cue H slipped to fifth place as they had a free week.

Preston Cue C slipped to eighth placed, as Preston Cue Q, failed to turn up to their match, and have been deducted six points and fined £10.

CAPTAINS are reminded that all team members need to have a full membership to the club they play from. Any player found not to have a full membership will be suspended from the league and will have their points deducted.

Players and captains who won trophies in the last winter season need to return them cleaned and in the condition they received them in to the fixture secretary, either at his home address or at Torre Trophies Torquay by the end of this weekend.

Read more from Torquay Herald Express

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters