Login Register

Newquay are too strong for St Austell

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: January 07, 2013

Comments (0)

An impressive Friday night crowd of 305 assembled to witness home side Newquay beat St Austell 3-2 in an entertaining encounter at Mount Wise.

The attendance was the third biggest in the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League this season, and they were not kept waiting long for the opening goal as Chris Reski slammed the ball home from six yards to give the visitors the lead.

Newquay were level before the break courtesy of Danny Brook's thunderous free-kick, and second-half goals from Shaun Middleton and Mark Vercesi saw the Peppermints leading 3-1 before home goalkeeper Sam Trudgian ensured a frantic last five minutes after punching Reski's corner into his own net.

Elburton Villa and Ivybridge Town fought out a 1-1 draw at Haye Road. Todd Hanrahan gave Ivybridge a 68th-minute lead from the penalty spot before Sam Stevens levelled four minutes later.

With Bodmin Town inactive after their game at Tavistock was called due to for a waterlogged pitch, second-placed Plymouth Parkway took full advantage by winning their game in hand to move within a point of the league leaders.

Parkway have officially applied for promotion to the Western League and are aware that a top two finish would be enough for them to achieve their goal, which meant their 1-0 victory away to Liverton United also took them three points clear of the third and fourth-placed sides with games in hand. Ryan Richards scored the all-important goal.

Bovey Tracey ended a run of three consecutive defeats when Ryan Stanbridge's late goal earned them a 1-1 draw at home to St Blazey, who had taken the lead through Lewis Coombes.

Two goals apiece from Ryan Leverton and Sam Kemp helped Cullompton Rangers beat Penzance 5-0. Harry Corin added the fifth.

A fantastic display of goalkeeping by Jason Chapman earned Falmouth Town a point from their goalless draw at home to Saltash United.

Launceston moved level on points with Elburton in third after goals from Sam Scott, Liam Tilley and Chris Head saw them beat Liskeard Athletic 3-1, with Alex Martin hitting the visitors' reply.

Division One West side Stoke Gabriel had one of the results of the day when they won through to the quarter-finals of the Throgmorton Cup by beating Premier Division Camelford 3-2, after extra time, at Trefrew Park.

Ollie Critchlow (two) and Mark Newbould netted for Stoke, while Charlie Barnes and Dan Balsdon were on target for the Camels.

Read more from Torquay Herald Express

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters