Login Register

Ogogo's OG denies Thompson's bonus, but does bring three points

By Herald Express  |  Posted: December 06, 2012

SHARP SHOOTER: Niall Thompson shapes to shoot in the Gulls' home win over Dagenham and Redbridge last weekend PHOTO: PINNACLE

Comments (0)

'OGOGO OG' MAY have been a once-in-a-lifetime scoreflash in the Plainmoor pressbox, but it cost young Torquay United winger Niall Thompson a hundred quid!

Thompson was honesty itself after his deflected cross-shot ended up in the back of the net to beat Dagenham & Redbridge.

"I'd like to claim it, because that'd be £100 goal-bonus, but it wasn't mine – it went in off their defender," said 19-year-old substitute Thompson.

"But I'm just glad it went in to win the game."

With all due respect, Dagenham at home is not one of the 'glamour' games of the season, and it was reflected in a disappointing gate of just over 2,000 on a chilly midwinter afternoon.

But the result was still hugely important for United.

It put a forgettable November behind them and followed up their overdue second away win of the season at York City seven days before.

Manager Martin Ling admitted: "We didn't win convincingly."

But he rightly pointed out that United did play some good stuff 'in flashes'.

They certainly made one of their best starts of the season, tearing into the Daggers and hitting the bar through Rene Howe after only 30 seconds.

Howe was also denied by an exceptional point-blank save with his legs by Chris Lewington.

United's centre-forward could hardly have done more in another hard-working performance and he walked off, head shaking, and said: "I can't believe I haven't scored."

The breakthrough came in the 36th minute.

Billy Bodin cleverly flicked a Joe Oastler throw on to Howe on the right, his low cross deflected up off defender Scott Doe, Lewington clawed the ball out from under his bar, but Danny Stevens was there to hook in from close range.

It was Stevens' third goal of the season and his second in successive games.

Goalkeeper Michael Poke and Nathan Craig both did well to deny Dagenham as the visitors tried to respond quickly.

But on the stroke of half-time United's best move of the match, involving Kevin Nicholson, Howe, Bodin and Nicholson again down the left, ended with Ryan Jarvis' near-post finish just deflected wide.

Jarvis put in a real shift supporting Howe.

Referee James Adcock turned down what looked like a pretty good penalty shout for 'handball' by Femi Ilesanmi, and Jarvis headed a great chance wide from Craig's cross.

But midway through the second half Dagenham were just beginning to look like the sort of side which had beaten Oxford, Rotherham and Fleetwood recently when they equalised in the 73rd minute.

It was a belter too – midfielder Matt Saunders hit a first-time 25-yard volley that screamed in off the left-hand post.

Ling was just about to send on Thompson at the time, but suddenly the brief was to help United win the match rather than make it safe.

Six minutes after Saunders' goal, another fine move involving Craig Easton and Bodin slipped Thompson away on the left and his early cross-shot, with his weaker left foot, hit Daggers skipper Ogogo and flew in.

Mr Adcock's booking of Joe Oastler for a foul that wasn't was harsh in the extreme – it was his fifth caution of the season and he'll be suspended at Bradford City on Saturday.

But just after the final whistle the referee did spot Ilesanmi shove Howe in the chest in angry frustration, and he went into the book too.

Read more from Torquay Herald Express

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters