Login Register
 °

Oldway Mansion tennis courts reopen

By Herald Express  |  Posted: April 24, 2014

Comments (2)

QUESTIONS have been raised about the re-opening of tennis courts at Oldway Mansion in Paignton.

The former leaseholder was evicted from the courts in January, 2013, and the hard and grass courts closed because of the impending Oldway Mansion development as luxury hotel and homes.

But 15 months on, the developers Akkeron have still not started work on the site. However, the tennis courts have been now re-opened.

Paignton businessman Frank Sobey, who had been campaigning to keep the courts, said: "Those courts were hugely expensive to build and are floodlit. Someone said to me the nets were back up and I found people playing tennis. I was told Tor2 had cleaned them up and they are available during the day but no-one has said anything. Meanwhile, the mansion is becoming increasingly derelict."

Related content

Former leaseholder Keith Johnson said: "I am staying well out of it. But I would like to know out of interest what has happened to the development. It was imminent in January when I was told to go."

Work to transform the listed building into a four-star hotel and spa had been expected to start in February last year. James Brent, boss of Akkeron Oldway Ltd, said recently they were still keen and willing to make a start.

A Torbay Council spokesman said: "The ouncil has re-opened the tennis courts temporarily so as to make them available for public use pending work getting under way on the regeneration of the Oldway site. The decision to re-open the courts has no impact on the development scheme and it is only a temporary measure which has been agreed with Akkeron."

Read more from Torquay Herald Express

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

2 comments

  • Cruey  |  April 24 2014, 7:03PM

    A very sad day when the council could not find the money to maintain Oldway.......of course had it been in Torquay it would have been so very different as has been proven....they managed to attract 3 million plus for Torre Abbey and millions to chop down tree's and put up a few fancy lights and make access to the walk unavailable to the elderly and disabled. If Oldway does fall any further into disrepair who is going to want to restore it. Come on Oliver take your thoughts out of damn harbours and cruise ships and think of Paignton just for ONCE

    |   7
  • themightyflea  |  April 24 2014, 7:15AM

    Do we expect an equally long running but far more expensive equivilent to the balloon lease fiasco coming up here. It's likely that the developer would not be averse to the buildings becoming completely derilict. Wait long enough and perhaps there will be a not inconvenient fire set by vandals - not at all uncommon in the Bay I understand.

    |   16

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES