Login Register

Police launch murder bid probe after Newton Abbot incident

By Herald Express  |  Posted: August 28, 2014

CORDONED OFF: Police cordon off part of The Avenue in Newton Abbot after the suspected hit-and-run

Comments (0)

DETECTIVES have launched an attempted murder inquiry after a 22-year-old South Devon man suffered potentially life-threatening injuries in a suspected hit-and-run incident.

The man is now recovering in Plymouth's Derriford Hospital after being in collision with a car in Newton Abbot in the early hours of Sunday.

The car was later found abandoned in a car park.

Responsibility for the investigation has now passed to the major crime investigation team based in Ashburton.

The incident happened in The Avenue. Police and ambulance were called to the scene at 3.40am.

Initial reports suggested an argument had taken place at a takeaway and in the street between a group of youths which then escalated into a fight. There were suggestions metal bars were being used.

A police spokesman said: "On arrival officers confirmed a man had been hit by a Peugeot 106 which failed to stop having been driven away with the windscreen smashed.

"A 22-year-old local man was taken to Torbay Hospital and later transferred to Derriford with potentially life-threatening injuries.

"The Peugeot was later found abandoned in a car park in town."

A spokesman for the ambulance service confirmed paramedics had treated an injured man at the scene for head wounds.

Police said on Monday the man was 'stable and recovering' in hospital.

By 9am on Sunday morning a 60m section of the pavement had been closed off by police outside the Murray VW garage.

A smaller section of pavement was also cordoned off on the opposite side of the road.

Detectives arrived at the scene later in the morning and part of The Avenue was closed to traffic causing major disruption in the town for much of Sunday.

Detectives have appealed to the public for any information.

Anyone who can help should call 101 quoting log 203 of the 24th or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Police confirmed they are treating the incident as attempted murder.

Two local men, a 21-year-old and an 18-year-old, were arrested on Sunday and bailed pending further enquiries.

Read more from Torquay Herald Express

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters