FIREFIGHTERS from Totnes were called to a blaze at a property on the town early today.
The alarm was raised at 2.30am in Station Road, and the Totnes crew was joined by colleagues from Paignton.
The fire was in the first floor of a two-storey building and crews used four sets of breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, one main jet and a thermal imaging camera. Two short extension ladders and small tools were also used to remove roof tiles.
By 4.10am crews had extinguished the fire which was caused accidentally, a spokesman said.
The fire resulted in the property being severely damaged in the first floor, and the ground floor being moderately damaged.