A one-liner about a Dutch girl with inflatable shoes has been hailed as the funniest joke ever told.
Researchers compiled 180 popular jokes from the worldwide web and asked 6,000 adults to vote for the top 50 funniest.
The Number One slot went to Peter Kay with his joke: "I met a Dutch girl with inflatable shoes last week, phoned her up to arrange a date but unfortunately she'd popped her clogs."
Second place on the list was one of Tommy Cooper's finest: "Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off''
In third place was another Cooper classic: "Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin."
In fourth was "I went to a restaurant that serves 'breakfast at any time'. So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.
"Being an England supporter is like being the over-optimistic parents of the fat kid on sports day", was in fifth place.
The top 50 list includes brilliant jokes from the likes of Peter Kay, John Bishop and Tim Vine.
Benny Hill, Ricky Gervais and Bill Bailey also appear in the ranks, along with Michael McIntyre and Russell Brand.
A spokesman for paid for survey site 2Brewarded.co.uk, which commissioned the study, said: "Britain clearly has a great sense of humour.
"Many of the jokes in top 50 are from true, British comic legends.
"Gags from comedy geniuses such as Michael McIntyre, Peter Kay and Tommy Cooper are all ranked highly.
"All of the jokes that made the final list are all genuinely funny and good natured which proves crude gags don't really cut it."
The list had a wide range of jokes from late, great comics such as Tommy Cooper, but also modern stars like Sarah Millican and Jack Whitehall.
The array of topics reflects the timescale as well with gags about Google Plus, Facebook and Twitter all making the list.
Funny tales about marriage, famous icons and religion also cropped up in the poll while gags about families, money and food also appear in the list of our favourites.
The most popular joke about marriage turned out to be, "Why do men get married? So they don't have to hold-in their stomachs anymore."
The favourite celebrity-based jokes revolved around Taylor Swift and her much-publicised boy troubles and the passing of Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs.
Sarah Millican made the top 50 with her one-liner about mums' double standards. A similar gag by Jack Whitehall was also highly-rated.
John Bishop, whose popularity has rocketed over the past few years, reached the top five by poking fun of the England football team.
A couple of surprise appearances in the top 10 were from Rowan Atkinson and Steve Martin, who aren't commonly known for their stand-up performances.
A spokesman for 2Brewarded.co.uk added: "It's hard to read through these jokes without a smile on your face."
TOP 50 JOKES
1. "I met a Dutch girl with inflatable shoes last week, phoned her up to arrange a date but unfortunately she'd popped her clogs." Peter Kay
2. "Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off." - Tommy Cooper
3. "Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin." Tommy Cooper
4. "I went to a restaurant that serves 'breakfast at any time'. So I ordered 'French Toast during the Renaissance." Peter Kay
5. "Being an England supporter is like being the over-optimistic parents of the fat kid on sports day." John Bishop
6. "We are in the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun." Rowan Atkinson
7. "I can hear music coming out of my printer. I think the paper's jammin' again." Unknown Origin
8. "I believe in equality. Equality for everybody. No matter how stupid they are or how superior I am to them." Steve Martin
9. "I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel." Rowan Atkinson
10. "You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen; it said 'Parking Fine.' So that was nice." Tim Vine
11. "20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!" Bill Murray
12. "Why do men get married? So they don't have to hold-in their stomachs any more." - Unknown Origin
13. "Where there's a will - there's a relative!" Ricky Gervais
14. "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." Benny Hill
15. "Two aerials meet on a roof - fall in love - get married. The ceremony was rubbish - but the reception was brilliant." Tommy Cooper
16. "I had a ploughman's lunch the other day. He wasn't very happy." Tommy Cooper
17. "To the man on crutches, dressed in camouflage, who stole my wallet ... you can hide but you can't run.'' Milton Jones
18. "Taylor Swift waved at a boy yesterday and he didn't wave back... So she will have a new album coming out tomorrow.'' Will Ferrell
19. "I hate when new parents ask who the baby looks like. It was born 15 minutes ago, it looks like a potato." Will Ferrell
20. "Money doesn't buy happiness? Well it does buy a jet ski. Have you ever seen a sad person on a jet ski? Yea, I thought so..." Unknown Origin
21. "I've lived in Manchester since my 20's and I've only been in three fights -not a bad average." John Bishop
22. "I found a Justin Bieber concert ticket nailed to a tree, so I took it! You never know when you might need a nail." Unknown Origin
23. "My friend keeps telling me I'm in the closet.. I just say it's Narnia business!" Will Ferrell
24. "I know that to be a true fact because I read it in Heat magazine" Bill Bailey
25. "Bob Geldof...no wonder he's such an expert on famine, he has been dining out on I Don't Like Mondays for thirty years." Russell Brand
26. "What's black and white, black and white, black and white?-A penguin rolling down a hill!" Unknown Origin
27. "Are there any medium rappers? They're always big or lil". Unknown Origin
28. "I like to play chess with bald men in the park, although it's hard to find 32 of them." Emo Phillips
29. "I saw a fat person wearing a sweatshirt with 'Guess' on it. I said 'Thyroid problem?" Peter Kay
30. "My wife and I both made a list of 5 people we could sleep with...she read hers out and there were no surprises...1 George Clooney...2 Brad Pitt etc...I thought 'I've got the better deal here'...1 Your sister" Michael McIntyre
31. "I'm a post-modern vegetarian, I eat meat - ironically" Bill Bailey
32. "So I said to a Scotsman 'did you have terrible spots as a kid?' He said 'ac ne'" Unknown Origin
33. "I went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any." Tommy Cooper
34. "Last night, me and my girlfriend watched three DVDs back to back. Luckily, I was the one facing the telly." Tim Vine
35. "My mother told me, you don't have to put anything in your mouth you don't want to. Then she made me eat broccoli, which felt like double standards" Sarah Millican
36. "I picked up a hitchhiker. You gotta when you hit them." Emo Phillips
37. "I hate when I'm on the treadmill and my hand accidentally hits the stop button & I have to get off and eat a bacon grilled cheese sandwich." Unknown Origin
38. "I went into a French restaurant and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich." Tommy Cooper
39. "What do you call a sleepwalking nun? A roamin' Catholic!" Unknown Origin
40. "I bought one of those anti-bullying wristbands when they first came out. I say 'bought' - I actually stole it off a short, fat ginger kid." Jack Whitehall
41. "Vegetarians, if you love animals so much then why do you keep eating all their food?" Unknown Origin
42. "How do you know when you're too drunk to drive? When you swerve to miss a tree then realize it was your air freshener." Kevin Hart
43. "If your body is 90 per cent water why have you got to drink water all the time? Why can't you just have some crisps?" Russell Brand
44. "You know who really gives kids a bad name? Posh and Becks." Stewart Francis
45. "A market researcher said 'can I ask you 10 questions', I said 'go on', she said 'question number 1, have you ever had a blackout?' I said 'no', she went...and finally, question number 10." Lee Mack
46. "You know, I have Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Skype accounts... Man, and do you have life? OMG, No! Could you send me a link?" Unknown Origin
47. "Last week my mother-in-law fell into a wishing well, can't believe it actually worked." Unknown Origin
48. "Dyslexic man walks into a bra. Author unknown."
49. "The pollen count, now that's a difficult job. Especially if you've got hay fever." Milton Jones
50. "I was raised as an only child, which really annoyed my sister." Will Marsh