Login Register

Toaster sparks kitchen fire

By Herald Express  |  Posted: December 06, 2012

Comments (0)

A KITCHEN has been destroyed and a conservatory badly damaged by a toaster fire at a house in Newton Abbot.

Firefighters were called to the property in Windsor Avenue in Buckland at 1pm on Saturday.

Incident commander Phil Scammells said: "On arrival we were met by the owner of the property and we could see smoke coming from the building.

"The fire was in the kitchen and involved a toaster.

Related content

"About 80 per cent of the kitchen was damaged and the conservatory was also damaged.

"The rest of the house was damaged by smoke."

Three engines were sent to the incident, two from Newton Abbot and one from Torquay.

Crews used four breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, two covering jets, positive pressure ventilation and a thermal image camera.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.

Accolade for homes team

TEIGNBRIDGE Council is celebrating after its Housing Options Team was announced as being the highest scoring authority out of all Devon authorities in how it deals with and prevents homelessness.

The score means residents in the district are getting a good service, whether they are trying to stay in their homes or need assistance into private accommodation.

All housing advice services across the county were independently audited by the Devon Housing Options Partnership against a national standard for service provision.

They were scored against a framework devised for the Department for Communities and Local Government by Shelter and the National Homelessness Advice Service.

The framework looked at the way homelessness and housing prevention cases were dealt with, carried out some mystery shopping, reviewed the service management and considered customer service.

Each local authority received a report in 2009 and an improvement plan was produced. This exercise was repeated in 2012 and Teignbridge has come out on top.

Chimney blaze

FIREFIGHTERS were sent to Ugbrooke House to deal with a chimney fire.

Four engines from Newton Abbot, Bovey Tracey and Teignmouth and the water carrier from Torquay went to the house on Saturday at about 4pm.

They found a fire in the chimney and called for the aerial ladder platform from Torquay.

The fire was put out quickly and there was no damage to the house, which is owned by Lord Clifford.

Read more from Torquay Herald Express

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES