Police in Torbay are to run a campaign to crack down on retail theft across the bay in the run up to Christmas.
From Monday November 19 until Christmas Eve, police officers and PCSOs from the Torbay Neighbourhood team will run the high-profile uniformed campaign, seven days a week.
The objectives of the campaign, known as Operation Action, are to:
• Disrupt the activity of known criminals by stop and search
• Reassure the public by highly visible uniformed presence at shopping sites
• Work with retail stores to prevent shop theft
• Provide crime prevention advice to the public
• Deal positively with all offenders
PC Nick Holland said: “We run this every year in a bid to cut down on the amount of theft which occurs in and around our shops.
“This year we are putting out six officers each day seven days a week to cover Torquay Town, Paignton Town and the Willows out-of-town shopping centre.
“Officers will be in uniform to not only deter and stop check criminals but to provide a high profile reassuring presence and to provide advice on crime prevention and personal security.”