A GROUP of travellers who set up camp on Torre Abbey Meadows in Torquay have moved — but others have sprung up in Churston angering residents.
After four days in front of the newly refurbished Torre Abbey, the 20 or so vans, camper vans and caravans finally left Torquay seafront on Monday night after an eviction process was launched by Torbay Council.
But two groups set up camp at Churston including — two caravans and other vehicles on the top commons and four caravans and cars on the lower.
Local businessman and farmer Richard Haddock claimed large rocks had been moved out of the way to gain access.
He said: "We might as well put up a sign at the entrance of the Bay saying 'Torbay Council welcomes travellers and will look after you. But if you are a tax payer and you put your camper van on the green Torbay Council will prosecute you'.
"How much does it cost the tax payers every time to carry out these health and welfare checks and start the eviction proceedings?
"Why can't Torbay Council build a dedicated site for travellers?
"If there was a specific site for travellers, then police could evict those not using the site straight away."
A Torbay Council spokesman said: "The travellers left the unauthorised encampment on Torre Abbey Meadows on Monday evening. The site was left in a reasonable condition.
"Statutory health checks at the unauthorised encampment at Bascombe Road have been completed.
"The council is in the process of seeking a county court hearing date when a possession order will be sought."