A house fire in Parkfield Road, Upton, Torquay on Sunday morning resulted in the female resident of the property being sent to hospital by ambulance.
The woman in question phoned the emergency services in the early morning hours and reported that the house was on fire.
Two fire appliances from Torquay were mobilised and sent to the premises where they found a fire within the two-storey, end terrace house.
The fire was extinguished and the female occupant, who was suffering from smoke inhalation, was taken to hospital by an ambulance.
Fire crews reported that the ground floor lounge of the house had been severely damaged by fire and that the rest of the property had been severely damaged by smoke.
The cause of the fire was accidental.