Login Register
 °

Work starts on demolition of upper deck of Torquay's Banjo platform

By Herald Express  |  Posted: November 23, 2012

WORK IN PROGRESS:   Work on the Banjo, Torquay   Andy Styles TQAS20121113C-002_C

WORK IN PROGRESS: Work on the Banjo, Torquay Andy Styles TQAS20121113C-002_C

Comments (0)

WORK has started on the latest phase of multi-million pound improvements to Torquay promenade.

Contractors are working on the second phase of the scheme which will see the demolition of the upper deck of the concrete Banjo viewing platform.

Patrick Carney, Torbay's highways boss, said the work would include specialist protection to the Eastern promenade which had been repaired last winter.

The Western promenade was repaired in 2007.

Related content

Mr Carney said the work would extend the life of the promenade for 25 years and will open up the views across the marina.

"Whatever we did to clean it up, the lower section of the banjo was never an inviting environment.

"This was the only way we thought we could remove that problem.

"With the lower section you will be able to walk out over the water."

The work is expected to continue through until June.

Demolition and rebuilding the Banjo will cost £1.2million.

The money is coming out of the council's capital budget, most of it paid for through borrowing.

Susie Colley, chairman of Torre and Upton community partnership, queried why the council had spent so much money improving both the top and bottom deck of the Banjo when they knew it was going to be demolished.

Mr Carney said: "We didn't carry out major repairs, and some repairs needed doing anyway.

"We felt it wouldn't be right to open the promenade and leave the Banjo open because it is our shop window."

Read more from Torquay Herald Express

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • nicold  |  November 23 2012, 3:22PM

    I wonder if they're going to repair the damage done to the pavement slabs, which was caused by the HGV lorries used to carry away the Wheel?...and I hope if they do repair them, the Council will make sure next year, if the Wheel returns, that they either make sure the lorries unload elsewhere, or relocate the Wheel, as more damage will be done!

    |   -1
  • mikelister66  |  November 23 2012, 1:50PM

    I wonder how they will fill in the gap that will be created between the lower banjo and the park. Are they going to remove that wall and windows and build out to the existing?

  • realityzone  |  November 23 2012, 10:27AM

    I suspect that Carney is right and that this will be seen as a huge improvement, lets wait and see.

    |   2
  • spindleshanks  |  November 23 2012, 9:34AM

    Upper deck of the banjo has the views so what do we remove? Even the view of the beautiful 100 year old Pavilion from anywhere around the inner harbour is soon to disappear with the building of a new hotel. There is some pretty poor (desperate?) planning in Torbay going on at the moment.

    |   -5

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES