Login Register

Yapp delighted with Taunton's response after fine away victory at Clifton

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: February 04, 2013

Comments (0)

Taunton ripped the formbook up and threw it away to beat Clifton 28-10 and move out of the bottom three in National League Two South.

A trip to mid-table Clifton did not look too appealing to Taunton followers, whose side had lost four on the trot before the weather stopped them playing a month ago.

What the faithful did not know was that Titans coach Tony Yapp had spelled out the gravity of the situation to the first-team squad, and got the response he was looking for.

"I got the players together and showed them the position we were in and what was needed to get out of it," said Yapp. "If we want to stay in this division, a bit more is needed; individual stuff on top of training.

"I was pleased to see the players had the motivation to put the work in and we got the first of the results we are going to need."

Had Gary Kingdom had his kicking boots with him, Taunton may have won by a few more, not that Yapp was complaining.

Tries from Greg Charlton, Mike Pope, Alex Wilcockson, Luke Plummer and Jack Claydon, plus a Kingdom penalty, gave Taunton all five points.

Taunton do not have too much recovery time as they are off to Bristol tomorrow night to play Old Redcliffians in the Renault Somerset Cup.

Newton Abbot put their nightmare day out at Weston behind them with a 15-14 win at Malvern that keeps them fourth in National Three South West.

The All Whites were left stunned by an 83-17 loss at Weston, so winning by a point was a welcome result.

"It wasn't a great performance on our part, but it was a big improvement on what happened at Weston," said Newton director of rugby Roy Henderson.

"I would say we had 75 per cent of the play and were worth two or three more tries. The score was only as close as it was because Malvern scored a converted try in the last minute of the game."

Ed McGinley and Sam Jones scored a try each for the All White with Rob Avery-Wright lobbing over a couple of goals.

Exmouth's game against Redingensians had to be postponed when the visitors claimed the playing surface was unfit due to waterlogging.

'They got off the coach, went out on the pitch, came back to say it wasn't safe to play on and cleared off," said disgruntled Exmouth playing boss Chris Wright. The replay will be in two weeks' time, on a day originally set aside for Exmouth's Devon Cup semi-final against Newton Abbot.

Brixham made it three wins on the spin when they beat Oxford Harlequins 29-12. Having scooted into a 19-0 lead thanks to tries by Jarryd Harris, Tom MacLean and a penalty try, plus two Ben Lovell conversions, Brixham let Quins back into the game. Harry Davies and Matt Crosscombe tries killed off Quins.

Read more from Torquay Herald Express

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters