Login Register
 °

Discussion

“Brixham residents against Tesco seem to be using the example of Totnes stopping Costa coming into town. I believe they have got their facts wrong regarding this. The campaign to stop Costa was tainted by a false petition which on examination was vastly inaccurate. There was also a Facebook campaign which was calling for people to "spoil" Costa toilet facilities etc if the business opened up.
Perhaps the Brixham residents against Tesco should look into their role models a bit more before using them as an example of which to rally on.”

By Fairplayertor Posted: January 13, 2013

12 comments

12 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • SidneyNuff  |  January 14 2013, 9:38AM

Brixham residents resisted the 20th century for long enough. You don't expect them to embrace the 21st century until Brixham has crumbled into the sea. They still believe we have an empire, god bless the queen, Victoria that is.

• mig46  |  January 20 2013, 8:26PM

We need Tesco, I cannot see how local people can afford to shop in Tesco Express in Brixham, the prices are far to high,not only that but something needs to be done with that car park. I was talking to BRATS the other day and there were three people standing with me and we all agreed Tesco will be good for Brixham, the three people from BRATS did not know what to say, also when asked if they lived in Brixham no answer. I rest my case.

• daveconol  |  January 24 2013, 2:58PM

You have to remember why BRATS are in existence and why they object to this town centre regeneration of Brixham. Firstly, we have the founder members of BRATS who consist of: Leya Ostell who is executive director of Gaia House which is a Buddhist centre in Newton Abbot. Rosemary Clarke and Phil Gregory who both stood as Labour candidates at the last local elections in Torbay and are both members of Global Action. Sam Moss who is the leader of Torbay Green Party. Julie Richardson who is Head of Economics (sounds impressive until you realise it is 'alternative economics') at Schumacher College in Dartington which offers courses such as 'Finding our Collective Voice', 'What's the Point of School', 'Harmony', 'Earth Pilgrim' and 'Collapsonomics'. Sue Dawes who recently suggested building a 'carbon neutral' car park (whatever one of those is) in the town centre. These people object because it doesn't fit in with their philosophical and ideological beliefs. Of course, all of these people (none of whom, to my knowledge, come from Brixham by the way) are perfectly entitled to their beliefs but when it comes to the town centre development in Brixham decisions have to be based on what is good for Brixham not on one's philosophical and ideological beliefs. Secondly, we have the supporters of BRATS (who are, in the main, the same people who supported Robbie Robinson) whose reasons for objecting are different from the founder members. Their reasons are that they are happy with Brixham as it is thanks very much and are vehemently opposed to any change or regeneration of the town (many of them are here to retire of course). These people also are perfectly entitled to their views and their desire to just enjoy their lives here, giving no thought or consideration to the future of Brixham or the next generation is understandable, but again, when it comes to the town centre development in Brixham decisions have to be based on what is good for Brixham not on one's own personal self-interest."

• pyeth  |  February 15 2013, 8:26PM

There are a few reasons why I and my family are totally against a big Tesco to build in the central part of Brixham. 1) Where we used to live before moving to Brixham 10 years ago, Tesco moved into the small town. Within 2 years, we lost 2 independent bakers, 3 independent greengrocers, 4 independent butchers, 3 smaller supermarkets including Co-op and what was a thriving Saturday market. 2) Parking. Where will people who come to town park during the 2years (or thereabouts) of building? There are times already some parking is lost in the centre of town because of coaches being re-directed there or the funfair. Already in the high season it is almost impossible to find a parking space in town, and can take anything up to half an hour to leave the car park 3) Disabled parking. There are several care homes and independent disabled people who are in Brixham or who come to Brixham. A lot of wheelchair accessible vehicles are over 6 foot high, some over 7. Not because of wanting them that high, but because of necessity. Broadsands Beach and Sharkham Point are already enforced out of bounds areas for them, so that will now make Brixham out of bounds too. Tall vehicles like this are not able to use underground or multi story car parks. 4) I agree Brixham does need something to boost economy and trade, but all that will happen with Tesco as it has happened in so many places is that local traders will be forced to close unable to compete 5) Employment. Jobs will not be created for local people, Tesco will "import" some people from other stores to get up and running then those jobs that are created will be a higher percentage of low paid casual and/or part time workers. When the local traders close, that will then create more unemployment in the area. 6) A lot of people move to Brixham or holiday to Brixham because it is quaint, of the individuality, and quietness. So did we, We are employers in the town, and if Tesco comes there will be 5 jobs lost here 7) We put in planning permission several years ago for a garage but were made to remake the roof design as just 1 person complained that it would be out of keeping with the local area. It would have matched the rest of the house already standing, yet the plans for Tesco in the middle of the town would be far worse than the roundhouse on the fish market, totally out of character with the town 8) Thousands of local people are against this project, and know it will not benefit Brixham. We already have a small Tesco in town, that is enough for us. It would be better if that Tesco stocked different items to the Co-ops, Spars and Costcutters in the area.

• EdnaFruitcake  |  February 16 2013, 9:32AM

Sounds like BRATS are a lot of political idealists mixed with a few local traders who feel their profits may be compromised but very few actual Brixham residents.

• spindleshanks  |  February 18 2013, 11:16AM

Out of town supermarket, town centre footfall declines. Town centre supermarket, town centre footfall increases. Examples of the latter - Totnes and Newton Abbot, an example of the former - Torquay. Have any of the independent food shops in Totnes or Newton Abbot complained about Morrisons or Asda. No - they are doing very well with the level of footfall in each town. They just had to up their game and offer something that the supermarkets don't, like personal service for starters. I think the process is called grabbing the opportunity rather than moaning about a perceived threat that isn't there.

• nocoment  |  March 01 2013, 2:29PM

if supermarkets had to keep to a 5 mile exclusion zone out of the most populated towns think about the trade the small town, village would do

• nocoment  |  March 01 2013, 2:36PM

in answer to spindleshanks how many empty shops are in n abbott and totnes its the fact that people only go to the supermarket and not in to the town how much personal service do you want when pushing a supermarket trolley

• howardd1  |  March 06 2013, 7:54PM

brixham where people from the midlands go for the holidays the rest of the year lock the gate

• DevonBen  |  March 12 2013, 1:15PM

by EdnaFruitcake Saturday, February 16 2013, 9:32AM "Sounds like BRATS are a lot of political idealists mixed with a few local traders who feel their profits may be compromised but very few actual Brixham residents." Edna, you've just decribed the anti-Costa people in Totnes perfectly. If many are in favour ofTesco, they must fight back. The pro-Costa people of Totnes did start to fight back but were too late, it seems.

• Ghecko  |  March 17 2013, 8:02PM

This is my opinion for what it's worth. I believe there is evidence to support the theory that a town supermarket (hopefully not one well represented elsewhere in Torbay) can boost all aspects of a small town centre, as experienced in Totnes and Dartmouth. The centre of Brixham is an eyesore. Visitors and locals alike deserve better than a car park as their centre piece. Even less do they deserve a massive structure that will further increase the claustrophobic feel and depress the spirit (no matter how cleverly disguised) The consequences of this development will be to consign the only flat, harbour side, town centre land to being a monstrous eye sore for decades. I do not want to see Brixham choked with traffic and fumes any more than I would other ancient town centres in the country. Park and Ride CAN be made to work if we are steered towards them by highly visible, repeated signage and the destination is worth it. I long for an accessible, green, tree and cafe fringed space preferably opening onto the harbour and Prince William on this unique site. We have a number of serious issues to resolve which call for imagination and creativity. With a little less quick fix greed and a good deal more sensitivity and imagination, Brixham CAN be a uniquely good place to live work and visit.

• Ghecko  |  March 17 2013, 8:04PM

This is my opinion for what it's worth. I believe there is evidence to support the theory that a town supermarket (hopefully not one well represented elsewhere in Torbay) can boost all aspects of a small town centre, as experienced in Totnes and Dartmouth. The centre of Brixham is an eyesore. Visitors and locals alike deserve better than a car park as their centre piece. Even less do they deserve a massive structure that will further increase the claustrophobic feel and depress the spirit (no matter how cleverly disguised) The consequences of this development will be to consign the only flat, harbour side, town centre land to being a monstrous eye sore for decades. I do not want to see Brixham choked with traffic and fumes any more than I would other ancient town centres in the country. Park and Ride CAN be made to work if we are steered towards them by highly visible, repeated signage and the destination is worth it. I long for an accessible, green, tree and cafe fringed space preferably op ening onto the harbour and Prince William on this unique site. We have a number of serious issues to resolve which call for imagination and creativity. With a little less quick fix greed and a good deal more sensitivity and imagination, Brixham CAN be a uniquely good place to live work and visit.

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!