Login Register

Discussion

“Torquay's new parking problem. Has anyone else noticed how the streets around castle circus within walking distance of the town hall are being clogged up during the day with cars which have Torbay council parking permits on their windscreens. On street parking for residents who live in the town centre is being made a nightmare, not by the Councils decisions but by their staff. Do the council workers in Torquay not have a car park where they can use these permits.”

By SidneyNuff Posted: January 15, 2013

8 comments

8 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Sinjis_Things  |  January 17 2013, 12:08PM

I hope the council employees who are given parking permits, which is a perk, are taxed on them

• SidneyNuff  |  January 21 2013, 9:20AM

I wonder how much these parking permits are costing tax payer. What a shame these public sector workers can't be bothered to use them.

• Sinjis_Things  |  January 31 2013, 2:45PM

The council should not give parking permits to any employee instaed they should be encouraged to use public transport, bicycles or even waliking to work. This would reduce traffic congestion and make the town centre cleaner and quieter. Also a lot of council could work form home thus reducing accommodation costs. As for employees who need a car to visit clients locally the council should have a small fleet of electric cars which would be recharged when not in use.

• Dumplinboy  |  February 05 2013, 6:28PM

Sinjis_Things They might get arrested if they are caught "waliking" to work.

• eTorbay  |  February 09 2013, 8:31PM

@Sinjis_Things, I agree about the office based staff receiving parking permits, it is a situation which people employed by private sector town centre businesses could only dream of. The electric car idea is not really feasible though with many care workers etc employed by contracting agencies on behalf of the local authority. Just organising such a scheme for the many hundreds of over stretched care workers alone would need much more than a 'small fleet'. Permits are often required so staff can park close to clients without fear of a parking ticket. I support such a policy which reduces travel time for needed services, but as an employee benefit for office based positions in the town centre? Nope, not when I contribute to the finance for it.

• ThatsYourWife  |  February 10 2013, 12:14AM

How about PUBLIC sector staff using PUBLIC transport.

• EdnaFruitcake  |  February 11 2013, 10:43AM

Is this the same council that spends thousands of pounds of our money telling us all to car share. Torbay Council, the do as I say, not as I do council.

• whaaaaat  |  August 12 2013, 10:50AM

This from a council that don't think parking charges are putting people off coming to Torquay. If their own staff won't pay to park and they get a discount, why would anyone else.

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!