Login Register

Discussion

“As I sit and watch Torbay die a little more each week I wonder how much longer we can carry on with Unitary Authority status. Given the lack of real revenue (apart from parking charges!!) since the big employers moved out it seems to be clear that we cannot afford to retain this status and would be far better becoming a District Council like Teignbridge or South Hams and moving management of major activities such as Education and Social Services back under DCC . The people who mounted the (sadly) successful campaign for UA status in the late 90s (and yes some of them are still around and doing no better now in running affairs) should examine their consciences. Forget The Mayor's call for a super council for Devon - this is just his way of avoiding facing up to the reality that Torbay is not financially viable as a UA going forward. Even if they charge everyone to park their cars anywhere on the streets (and we are pretty close to that) they still will not make enough money............now I feel better for venting!!! Thanks for reading”

By flotske Posted: November 14, 2012

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!