Login Register

Dog owners warned of harmful palm oil on South Devon beaches

By HERomPEllis  |  Posted: October 16, 2016

Prawle Point Coastguard

Palm oil on Beesands beach

Comments (0)

THE Coastguard has issued a warning after a substance, believed to be palm oil, washed up on a beach in South Devon.

Although palm oil is not toxic to humans, it can cause serious illness or even death to dogs which are tempted to eat it.

The substance was discovered on Beesands beach after Coastguard were tasked to investigate a suspicious package.

The public have been urged to keep clear of area while it is removed by the chemical disposal unit.

A Coastguard spokesman said: "A team was paged by Solent Coastguard Operations Centre to a report of a suspicious package at Beesands beach.

"The team quickly located the package which is believed to be palm oil. This is extremely dangerous to dogs and we urge the public to keep clear.

"The package has been covered and marked with Coastguard tape to await disposal by a chemical disposal unit. If you see any unusual packages on or near the shore call 999 and ask for the Coastguard."


Read more from Torquay Herald Express

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters


Hot Jobs