Login Register

Fire dogs given oxygen after rescue from Paignton fire

By Herald Express  |  Posted: January 17, 2013

fire damaged: The scene of the fire in Church Street Mews and, inset David Robinson Paul Levie

Comments (0)

FIREFIGHTERS rescued two dogs from a burning house in Paignton and gave them life-saving oxygen treatment.

A family returned to their home in Church Street Mews to find a fire blazing behind their front door.

Nobody was inside but the couple, who rent the flat, reported their two pet German Shepherds were in the kitchen.

When firefighters arrived they fought their way into the house and carried out the two unconscious animals.

They were revived outside using oxygen breathing equipment. The family cat, however, died.

The house was severely damaged by the fire, which started behind the door but spread up to the first floor.

David Robinson, from Torquay, who is looking after the property on behalf of his brother Patrick who lives in Thailand, was alerted to the incident at 9pm on Tuesday.

He was only able to visit the flat the following morning.

He said: "I got this call to say the house had burnt down.

"Thankfully, no-one was hurt in the fire. That's the main thing.

"But I've had a look inside and it's a wreck. I don't know how it started. I'm waiting for the fire investigator to tell me what happened.

"I've told the news to my brother in Thailand.

"It will cost thousands to put the house right. It's completely gutted."

A fire investigator is still looking into the cause.

The blaze happened at a two-storey, semi-detached home opposite Paignton Hospital at 8.20pm on Tuesday.

Firefighters from Paignton were quickly at he scene.

Clint Hayes, fire officer in charge of the incident, said: "The people came back home and found the property alight.

"During the course of the incident we rescued two German Shepherds. We were told there were two dogs in the kitchen and carried them out.

"We used our oxygen resuscitation equipment to revive the dogs — the sort we would use on people."

The dogs have since made a full recovery.

The occupants were checked over by paramedics as a precaution.

"The fire had spread from the ground floor to the first through some ducting."

"The first floor is 50 per cent severely damaged by fire. The second floor is 100 per cent smoke damaged."

He said a neighbour had smelled smoke about an hour before they arrived.

"The adjacent property had smoke alarms but these did not activate and it is now smoke logged.

"The neighbour thought there was some sort of bonfire because the smoke was pervading into her house about but could not find anything."

Read more from Torquay Herald Express

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters